Monday, April 6, 2009

Poetry and Coincidence

I forgot to add something to my last posting. While taking a virtual tour along Bunhill Row outside of Bunhill Fields Cemetery, I recalled that Milton himself lived along Bunhill Row. And just around the coner, now in the midst of the Barbican Housing estate, is the the Church of St. Giles (without Cripplegate)where the great poet is buried. This, one of the oldest churches in London, was my grandfather's parish church and the place where my parents were married in 1963. Now the funny coincidence is that one of Milton's other favored homes was a cottage in the small town of Chalfont St. Giles where he spent time trying to escape the plague. And this is the town where I was born. Before I knew these facts I became interested in the remarkable poetry of Milton. 

No comments: